APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 1:31:08 pm

[Carsten Orlt] "Could you give an example where you need 100 Events and 100 Projects? "

One example would be a feature film. I realize it's been said many times that X may not be ready for a film, but the same process applies elsewhere. For example, if you use a separate Event for each camera and each shoot day. A 30-day shoot with 3 cameras would generate 90 Events. I am currently working on a commercial job shot in 6 days with 4 cameras in Media Composer. If this were in X with separate Events, then this little job would generate 24 Events.

The issue with Events is that you cannot organize a set of Events into a folder, since the Event has to exist at the root-level of the drive. (You can do this with Bins in MC or FCP7 or PPro.) That's unlike Projects, where Project files can be buried into folders and subfolders several deep.

As far as Projects, on a feature, you might opt to cut one Project per scene and then combine scenes into Reels and then Reels into the full film. And no, Compound Clips are not a good strategy here. A feature film with a 100 scenes might result in 150-200 Projects (timelines) once you have a few different versions of some of them.

On this little commercial job it's organized into "selects" sequences. There's one per camera, plus numerous others for shot types. Then various versions of the edit. So, at least 20-30. Selects sequences are better for this client to assess the material than Smart Collections. Even if I had these organized into Smart and/or Keyword Collections, I would still have to put them on a timeline, so it doesn't answer the original issues of dealing with a large number of sequences.

Working in this large of a job creates some logical issues in how you navigate the interface, simply because the interface itself has not been designed very well with this in mind. There are a number of poor and counter-intuitive design choices. For example, if you are playing an Event clip and hit the Home key, most NLEs take you back to the start of that clip. In X, the Home key takes you to the top of the loaded Events. That becomes a major annoyance when you have this many Events or even a lot of Collections.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]