APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread


Carsten Orlt
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 4:32:29 am

I think FCPx is doing the exact opposite of what you think it is doing.

It think it actually concentrates on the editing part of post and leaves colour correction/special fx/CGI and sound post to others.
It has both sections but in a basic form which will satisfy 90% of the market today and it has XML to talk to the rest for the 10% who need external solutions to finish their film.

Rather clever on Apples' part to stop trying to turn out a new software every 5 minutes like Adobe does to address a niche section of the whole post market.

Avid tried the same as Adobe by buying a lot of companies and it didn't work (in my eyes).

Anyhow call other NLE's organising inner worlds what you want, FCPx new way of organising footage is for me the best I ever used. I do long form projects and understand if you do short form stuff it might not be that obvious, but for long form un-scripted work it is god-send. Plus the incredible ease and quality of the picture engine makes it a joy to work with. It's not the only software that can combine images to make a film, but it is a very nice one indeed. And I'm not missing anything since leaving FCP7.

[Oliver Peters] "For the most part, users who are serious about what they do, don't want a single all-encompassing application and will tend to opt for a suite of compatible, companion tools."

I sometimes fall into the same trap so: we All shouldn't assume what the 'majority' wants by going by our own preferences. We are passionate and would like to convince everybody about our point of view. After all that is the reason we're on the 'debate' forum. But I for instance I'm very serious about what I do and hate application suites with a passion :-))

What I want is not for one company to make all different post applications. I want each company to concentrate on one section and find the best solution. One company making all will always want you to stay within the fence. If all you make is one aspect you WILL make it talk to others, or make other be able to talk to you if you're confident enough that they will want to play with you.

I think Sony with Sound Forge and Autodesk Smoke are clear indications that Apple will not return any high-end FX (beyond Motion) or audio editing applications. My prediction is: iMovie and FCPx for editing, Motion for graphic design (no need for a smaller sister as it is only $50 and home movies don't need it), Garageband and Logic for Music, iPhoto and Aperture for photos, and that's it.

Happy editing, whatever the tool.


Posts IndexRead Thread 


Current Message Thread:





© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]