APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 4:07:43 am

[David Lawrence] "I think there's a potential bloat problem with the event and project library databases in situations like Oliver describes. What's the largest number of projects you've had in a library? How was the load performance? I'm curious because I even though I only have a handful of simple test projects, my project library load time is not great."

I don't know, maybe 20? I don't really worry about because of San Locations.

I hate to always bring this up, but San Locations solves this problem in spades. I am extremely lucky to work with a SAN. I realize that not everyone has that opportunity., but I feel it's worth it to keep bringing it up.

It allows the mounting and dismounting of Events/Projects from within the application. It is easy, it is fast, it is convenient, but most of all it gives FCPX better capabilities.

Why Apple doesn't add this capability into Non-SANd environments is beyond me. I mean, I know there's some technical reasons in that the SAN Location permissions are controlled by FCPX, but it seems a more "dumbed down" version could be included so people could mount/dismount local folders from within FCPX.

[David Lawrence] "I'm curious because I even though I only have a handful of simple test projects, my project library load time is not great."

Opening 20 FCP7 projects or 20 CS6 projects (trick statement) at once would cause some slow down too. X takes a different approach in that it presents all of the data visibly to you, but only actually 'loads' the data when you click on it. I seem to find once a Project/Event is loaded (cached?), it responds as normal.

I have an FCP7 project I have been working on for a client for going on two years now. It takes 15 minutes to open and about 48 seconds to save, and that's just one project. It's not extremely huge (about 65 MBs) but it has a ton of stuff in it. Big Pr CS6 projects take a long time to open as well. It's the nature of the NLE beast it seems.

[David Lawrence] "Can you get tags and keyword collections out of it?"

KW collections, sure.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]