APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 5, 2012 at 1:33:57 am

I think this is what Phil Hodgetts was trying to get through to me when we talked a lot back in the early days when he was trying to impress on me the importance of metadata "flow" in X. Attributes have a directional flow. From import to the EB, then from the EB into Story lines - and from story lines into the project library.

The further upstream you append metadata the more it's available for being "handed off" to later processes. So work done in the EB will always feed your projects - where you have the option to strip and change things by removing or appending new metadata to the incoming files.

I think we're starting to see some conditional data flow back from the project level to the Event Browser (at least as stored compound clip states) but it's always going to be limited unless we want the central database to get REALLY complex - having to constantly not just watch for metadata changes flowing downstream - but tracking the users state changes upstream as well.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]