APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Charlie Austin
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 4, 2012 at 11:04:36 pm

[Oliver Peters] "So how does it handle this when all 100 of each have to be online and accessible? I find that when this is the case, the amount of buffering to RAM that X has to do becomes really cumbersome. So it's not simply a matter of hiding things in a folder, because when you open it (like projects) it takes a long time. Everything has to be ready and skimmable.

Well, YMMV, but in my case X handles it just fine. I agree about the time it takes to load project film strips in the Library... to an extent. But I actually find that it's gotten much faster with 10.0.6. And, once they're open they're open. On a slightly related note... They do need to work on the whole timeline browser back/forward button thing. It gets a little weird sometimes... ;-)

[Oliver Peters] Event Manager X is fine, but now you are constantly in a situation of exiting and relaunching the app."

True, but opening X takes no time at all really, at least compared to 7 and, in my limited recent experience, MC and Pr as well. And to me, it's much easier to organize giant piles of projects in multiple folders separate from the Event(s) they reference.

In 7, I have projects that take forever to open because they have so many sequences in them. So I have to duplicate the project, trash all the stuff I hopefully won't need, and move on. Leaving me with 2 or more projects to hunt through if I find I need something old.

And by hunt through, I mean like maybe I had cut a specific shot or little sequence into a spot . 3 months later, I need to find it. In 7, i need to not only find the project version the sequence is in, but if I can't remember which of the multiple versions of multiple spots it's in, I need to open them all one by one 'til I find it. In X, just skim through them in the Library. For me, that's faster and easier...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]