APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bret Williams
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 4, 2012 at 10:11:39 pm

Unlike some I'm sorta with you. The Avid bin/project structure is conceptually very similar to X. I feel like the way X manages events vs. Avid bins is a bit better. In Avid, you can open any bin from any project you want. In X, you have access to whatever events are available.

I don't feel like there is any grandiose amazing database going on. In fact, events know nothing of projects, and to some extent, projects know nothing of events. For example, a clip in a project has absolutely no knowledge of what keyword collection it came from. All it knows is what event it is in. The event keeps up with all the info on that clip. It makes aliases to the original or points to the proxys, etc. The project knows nothing. It's insanely simple really. FCP 7 kept up with much much more in it's timeline. Each clip was tied to a specific clip in a specific bin. As well as being tied to a specific file at a specific location. In fact, legacy could tell you which clips had been used in sequences with a find used command. In X, the even has absolutely no idea if a clip has been used in a project anywhere. It's pretty much a one way road.

That said, I think the logging and key wording really is a different concept from traditional bins. I use keywords as bins, but they're still a bit different. They really are a database. Highlighting multiple keyword collections is basically a search for clips with those keywords. The result is a bin of clips with those keywords. A combined bin. I can't remember if the Avid superbin was that way, but FCP 7 wasn't. A clip lived in one bin unless you duplicated it. And there was no master "event" where all the media existed.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]