APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 4, 2012 at 10:02:11 pm

[Oliver Peters] "In a traditional NLE, if you have multiple subclips based on a master clip, they still all point to the same media file."

And the data used in a spreadsheet could very well be used in a relational database. That the data is there and that it can be used doesn't equate with how it is actually used.

A database differs in that it actually handles such relationships. Doing a sort in a spreadsheet is not the same as building queries in a database. FCPX does well within it's narrow Event/Project relationships. It lakes the "meta" manager though. Hence my Filemaker Bento analogy (although not the most accurate but describes my intent).

I think some of the database management issues the FCPX developers face are way certain fundamental features have taken so long to develop such as copy paste of individual attributes. My guess is it probably requires a very complex series relationships While the front end expression of that data is no more complex than what exists in other NLEs, the underlying web of relationship probably meant they had a longer and more complex road to get there.

That FCPX is trackless and rather takes the path that all clips, compound, secondary, all are relational dependencies, unlike independent tracks (much like a spreadsheet) probably creates programming challenges to bring that data out in usable form. It's something they're working on (I believe) and the probably a large part of it's Bento like limitations at the moment. Build the relationships and then they need to build the front end to give the end user control of those relationships.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]