APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 4, 2012 at 9:14:13 pm

[Craig Seeman] "While you can certainly copy/paste/duplicate a clip or subclip in other NLEs but that to me is akin to copy/paste/duplicate as one would do in a spreadsheet rather than having something being a data point in multiple calculations as one might find in a relational database."

I know everyone is very fond of saying that, but there is no tangible evidence that there actually is any difference. Just a different spin on the same solution. Code-wise, there probably is, but in practical application, there isn't. In a traditional NLE, if you have multiple subclips based on a master clip, they still all point to the same media file.

[Craig Seeman] "Event Project relationship it screams for a management system."

Absolutely. One of X's very big weak points. Right now there is no way to effectively manage (within the application) a production that would generate 100 Events and 100 Projects. I don't mean the software can't handle it (though I have my doubts) - rather that the interface does not effectively support it for the operator.

[Craig Seeman] "Bins exist in Avid Projects."

Actually no. An Avid Project is really just an umbrella folder with bins files inside. Editors can easily "sneaker net" bin files between each other at the Finder level, exactly like you can with FCP X Project files. Think of an Avid bin as the same as an FCP 7 project file. All of the pertinent metadata resides within the bin file. In fact, that's basically the way EditShare is able to provide Unity-style project sharing using FCP 7. They treat multiple FCP project files the same as Avid treats bin files. Then they add an umbrella layer to control multiple FCP 7 projects, the same way that an Avid project handles bin files.

[Craig Seeman] "That one can examine a Project and see Referenced Events is an indicator to me the Events and Projects are relationships and not "self contained" as things are in Avid. "

The same is true in the Avid world. In fact, you can have Avid media exist without the presence of corresponding projects and the media file retained the info of the associated project it was created under.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]