APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 4, 2012 at 5:00:49 pm

[Oliver Peters] "How is this different than sub clips, custom sift and find functions?"

Relationship. The same file can be used in multiple simultaneous "queries" in that it can exist in numerous keyword and smart collections. While you can certainly copy/paste/duplicate a clip or subclip in other NLEs but that to me is akin to copy/paste/duplicate as one would do in a spreadsheet rather than having something being a data point in multiple calculations as one might find in a relational database.

[Oliver Peters] "FCP X is not FC Server."

Just my hunch but I can't help but believe something like that is going to be coming from someone at some times. I know, not a substantial response but since seeing the Event Project relationship it screams for a management system. Much the reason why I make the Filemaker Bento comment. There's lots of dada input but the management of it is still spartan.

[Oliver Peters] "In what way is this any different than Avid's bin structure?"

Bins exist in Avid Projects.
It's hard to make a direct analogy since they are so radically different.
In FCPX and Event can be the source media for many Projects Simultaneously.
A Project can draw from many Events.
That one can examine a Project and see Referenced Events is an indicator to me the Events and Projects are relationships and not "self contained" as things are in Avid. Again you can "copy" things from Project to Project but as I stated previously, that one must do that reminds me more of a spreadsheet rather than a developed One to Many, Many to One, Many to Many "Relationship" one has in FCPX.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]