APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCP X as a database

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Craig Seeman
Re: FCP X as a database
on Nov 4, 2012 at 4:00:13 pm

There's data and there's data base. I see most NLEs other NLEs as more of a spreadsheet.

FCPX is still a maturing data base structure. A lot of the custom info isn't yet utilized much and a lot of the potential info isn't yet gathered from the metadata of source files.

It's not that other NLEs don't have some data base functions but that FCPX seems deliberately written to advance on those functions even if not yet fully developed.

The relationship between Events and Projects, is one example as are keyword collections, smart collections, favorites are another.

Roles will likely mature as a means of control (my guess of course).

If I were to critique FCPX's use of data I'd probably use the analogy (danger Will Robinson) in that it is developing a Filemaker underbelly but currently constricted with a Bento like interface. I don't think the complex relationships (and by that I mean as a video relational database) are fully exploited as of yet.

I do think the crux of it is that while NLEs gather data, most are like spreadsheets and FCPX is at least moving towards relational use.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]