APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The inevitable move away from FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Georg P. Muller
Re: The inevitable move away from FCP 7
on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:13:05 am

I, too am looking for a new home after FCP 7 was EOLed. This has happened to me once before, when Discreet Edit was discontinued. My switch to FCP then was successful and I felt I gained something. Sure I was missing some of edit's incredible features, but the move from Windows NT to OSX more than compensated for it.

I jumped onto FCPX when it came out a year ago but even though I found it was a beautifully thought out and designed software I was put off by its sluggishness in its first incarnation. I could get around the concept and even work with the magnetic timeline, but it was too slow for long form.

So I moved over to premiere. I just cut a long and complex documentary on premiere CS6. In my humble opinion it is just not ready for prime time yet. Just open a project with thousands of clips. It takes forever to load. Why does it have to load each and every clip and what is that conform thing doing on first import, can't that be switched off? Auto save is constantly in my face, and it saves very slowly. These two things alone are driving me nuts.

I took a lot of effort customizing the keyboard to resemble final cut as good as I could, but still, I find the interface clumsy and cumbersome. Copy and paste always results with the clip in the wrong track, overwrite edit wants me to not only select the track I wish to write into but also to de-select the ones I don't want to be affected. Export is super slow, mercury playback buggy in 6.0.2 (had to turn that off on my mac pro with GTX 285), etc., etc. I know many people are very happy with premiere, I am just not, but I keep my eye on updates.

Simultaneously I have been working on another 52-minutes documentary on another machine in good old final cut. I enjoy that so much more, it reminds me how thought out and good it was and how hard it will be to find adequate replacement. Still sad it has been killed. For now I will stick with it and play some more with FCPX - maybe this is the direction I will go. Not sure about Avid, sounds like the logical choice, but I don't know why, I never really got into it.

Looking forward to the updates while still clinging to FCP 7 for critical work...

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]