APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX in action

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: FCPX in action
on Oct 12, 2012 at 8:30:32 pm

class - thats a brilliant work flow description craig - properly publicly informative, any edit system aside. also, it is **god help me** hard not to dig film strip on a fat second monitor. It really is.

pluck your eyebrows slattery, because that is a better apple sell workflow narrative than at least one out of three currently on the apple site. It also features the consonants 'B' 'B' and 'C'.

they appear to take nice workplace photos for their pieces.

I completely get (and quite a bit better now) the deeply useful cognitive run throughs apple have made in assembly for long form - what with increasingly out of control ratios of file based media input.
I don't do much long form at all, but the last time was insane with the volume of material.

there would have been a time when leaving the source clip as an unintelligible moniker would be unimaginable?

Its honestly interesting to consider that apple are providing a scenario that actually can, with filmstrip, skimming and tagging, allow the editor to hop skip and jump over formal clip by clip source viewer interrogation, naming and item categorisation - that with the rather ridiculous speed of footage interrogation and tagging, they've constructed a semantic pool staging area instead...

...given that uncontrolled ratio input and collapsed turnaround times are making that formal item/source viewing step nearly untenable?

Still...

curmudgeon - don't personally like it for my own short form commercial malarky tho.

SURPRISE.

- the kind of heft and movability apple are providing you, which they worked hard to derive, are a mess in short form and other scenarios where time is not quite such an issue, and the short circuit footage pool is not as desirable.
they've also short circuited a lot of basic timeline process to get there, and outside of optimised scenarios, it feels like a car on weird, if fast, automatic with large signs to direct work process.

It very much feels like an editor designed to do certain specific things and reward certain specific scenarios?

I find, (as bloody ever said everyone), that apple fundamentally fail to provide a basic universal canvas for an appraisal of what editing can be - they pre-judged and tooled it for a highly defined scenario that i find reductive. even if it is brilliant in that context.

I'll ask you it this way - given all the inputs you had craig, all the inferences that bled in to your skillset, that allow you to formulate FCPX behaviours to your liking, would you feel comfortable with all future editors blindly knowing nothing but the primary and secondary metaphor shortcuts? all pre-connected with default ripple?

In an apocalyptic scenario - if you had to pick one editing system to retain, to pass on a fundamental cognitive landscape to represent the infinite possibilities of time based editing - would you pick FCPX?

no, of course you wouldn't - that would be insanity.

I can feel you nodding in agreement already ;)

lets all go to PPro 6 (or avid) and protect the grammatical fundamentals of editing, and probably civilisation.

I thank you, try the veal.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]