APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Did anyone lose their job after FCPX mistake ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

randall wurster
Re: Did anyone lose their job after FCPX mistake ?
on Aug 15, 2012 at 8:03:59 pm

"In legacy, we had to constantly guard against inadvertent destructive actions like putting a long music cut on an audio track and failing to notice that we'd left a SFX down the timeline. If you did, the new import could easily KILL the SFX leaving no trace of it's prior existence. So it was easy to literally destroy elements in other parts of your timeline , precisely because the program couldn't know any better."

Is that really a concern for you? I don't believe it. In over a decade of editing on FCP or similar NLEs I have never made this mistake, nor feared making it. Keep track of your tracks. It's your job as an editor.

I've now taken two stabs at using FCPX and seeing if it could ever be helpful in my workflow. I downloaded a trial at home recently and gave it a go. I loathed it more than the first time.

The conclusion I came to is that it spends too much time trying to police stupidity...no offense to those that like it. To me, all of its features are geared towards making life easier for non-editors who don't understand best practices and who don't implement them.

Apple doesn't care about editors who make a living off of this craft. The ad airing now where they have an Apple Genius help a passenger on a flight do an emergency video edit pretty much says it all. They want everyone to be able to edit. As a professional video editor who was educated and trained in this field, we should probably all be offended that they think so little of our profession.

Still, I could care less about that if it still had value in my workflow. I've tried twice now to adapt and change to FCPX. I really like to think I am able to learn and adapt to new programs and NLEs. I've used Avid, FCP and Premiere. FCPX just seems worthless to me. It's iMovie Pro. Except iMovie might even suck less.

But I would love to hear/see others that feel differently. I can't use FCP7 forever and it's going to be time to move on soon (maybe it's past). I, honestly, would love to hear a differing opinion and see how FCPX is working in professional (or honestly, even prosumer) environments.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]