APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Alternative Application for Media Production

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Alternative Application for Media Production
on Jul 10, 2012 at 3:45:06 pm

I just read this and a few other blog entries, and I disagree with Mr. Balser on many, many points. I'd dispute several of his technical assertions, but that aside, I think his analyses are tremendously subjective.

Maybe it's to be expected from a web site named "FCPX University," but there's no attempt at balance in this article. I am 100% supportive of giving FCPX its due, applauding Apple's innovations, and recognizing how Apple has shaped the industry -- but from a creative professional's perspective, this is not a zero-sum game, and I think that minimizing the contributions of other developers like Adobe, Autodesk, and Avid is foolish, short-sighted, and risky. He seems particularly negative toward Adobe, and I'm not really sure why. They make great tools, they are industry standards, and their pricing is well within reach for working professionals.

Another element missing here is a sense of perspective: an explanation of the sort of work that can best be done with these tools, and where their limits lie.

To make the dreaded tool analogy, Mr. Balser has suggested that a handsaw is the best tool because it's small, cheap, and cuts through wood. I took down a few branches and trees on my property this weekend, but if I had only a handsaw instead of a pole saw and a chainsaw, I'd still be out in the woods.

I am sure it's possible to do good work with the alternative tool set Mr. Balser is espousing in his blog. However, I think it's key to remember that this is an alternative tool set, not a replacement tool set. Some of the apps in here simply can't compete with their more fully-featured alternatives for more complex or collaborative work.

My opinion on getting work done is fundamentally unchanged: figure out what the goal for the job at hand is, then select the best tool for getting it done.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]