APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Anyone seriously using FCP X in a Volume-based SAN like SanMP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Harlan
Re: Anyone seriously using FCP X in a Volume-based SAN like SanMP?
on Jul 9, 2012 at 12:34:58 am

[Oliver Peters] "[Chris Harlan] "It just blows my mind that people are using disk images to share files and that other people are crowing over FCP X's super slick media capabilities. Apple is the only company I can think of that people would do this for. Any other company would have been laughed off the planet."

FCP X isn't particularly better or worse than legacy as far as sharing. Collaborative workflows have never been a strong point for FCP. Due to its somewhat "open" nature, plenty of folks had developed really good, but highly customized, workflows. These allowed them to do collaboration/sharing in ways that worked for their shop. In most cases, those have never been true collaborative environments, but rather "project-duplication" and "project-moving" environments.

- Oliver
"

Oh, I know. I was just being crabby. Actually, the "never mind" I left in a neighboring post was meant to replace what I'd said above. But, while we're here-- having to make "disk images"? Isn't that a little much. I mean, instead of copying a folder and sharing a project file you have to fake a system out completely by making it think its using the same disk? I'm glad it works, but doesn't that seem a wee bit crazy? FCP has never had the kind of capabilities that you get with Unity, but for the last five or six years, its been pretty easy to share work. A lot of people complain about Media Manager, but its worked very well for me. Its pretty easy to give somebody a chunk of timeline, let them work on it for awhile, and then re-intergrate. It really doesn't take a lot of figuring or a high level of customization. Again, it ain't ISIS, but still--we're talking cut & paste.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]