APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Why SHOULDN'T I switch to Premiere Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy Edwards
Re: Why SHOULDN'T I switch to Premiere Pro?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:28:26 pm

How old is your hardware? You definitely want to have newer gear to deal with some of the current Adobe issues. Tons of ram, an NVIDIA gfx card will be a must. If you think bumping an old tower to Lion and stuffing CS5.5 into it will work flawlessly, well your in for some struggles.

If you are running Kona 3 cards in the Mac Pro's, the current drivers are horrible!! Stuttering audio, and stuttering video playback is a real work stopper! Adobe and AJA know this and had to rewrite their entire I/O interface. CS6 hopefully addresses this problem.

If you archive or media manage your projects, be prepared for more drive space or LTO tapes. Adobe's "project manager" is not space friendly. It takes the entire project, not always the "trimmed" version. I think CS6 might have better media managing, but have not read anything about it yet.

Over the past few months of moving 20 Mac Pro systems to CS5.5, the transition has not been easy. There have been days when going back to FCP just to get a project completed for air was needed. These are all growing and transition pains that might work better under CS6, but with today's hardware and current build, it is not all clean and easy like the marketing material you read.

I really want this transition to work, but with the current AJA hardware issues, buggy interactions with Lion, you are in for a rough start. Clone your system drive and definitely load up CS5.5 and test your current workflow. See what works and then compare the changes made in CS6.

Any other specific questions fire away, happy to share what has or hasn't worked.

Andy Edwards

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]