APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Apple finally updating their online FCPX Pro marketing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Apple finally updating their online FCPX Pro marketing
on Apr 11, 2012 at 9:31:18 pm

[Craig Seeman] ". . . and if Apple is abandoning the "pros" why would Smoke/Mac be so important?"

Like how Baselight for FCP was so important last year? Or like how Autodesk has been quietly pushing the fact that Smoke runs tolerably on an iMac or MBP?

There are just too many variables.

It's possible that Autodesk is aware of Apple's plans, and has built their software because they know there will be a platform to run it on.

It's possible that Autodesk is not aware of Apple's plans. Look back to Smoke's original requirement for NVIDIA cards, right before Apple dumped them for ATI. Oops.

It's possible that Apple is relying on Autodesk to bring the "pro" back to the Mac platform, and will not attempt to raise FCPX up to that level, ever.

It's possible that Apple is happy to have Autodesk offering a pro solution for the time being, but intends to seriously undercut their efforts in the future.

It's possible that Smoke on Mac is a long-haul product for Autodesk, and it's possible that Autodesk is making the best of a good thing while they can.

I think it's important to remember that (as of today, who knows what Sunday will bring) Smoke is not Mac-only and is not fundamentally built on Apple technologies. Like Resolve, there's an escape hatch built-in if they need it. There's only NLE that has bet the farm on the Mac platform so far, and that's FCPX.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]