APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Autodesk Smoke is changing. Everything.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Jahns
Re: Autodesk Smoke is changing. Everything.
on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:08:28 pm

funny - I started this same thread on the Smoke forum and only got one comment - should have known this would be the place for speculation and chatter! ;-)

I've been using Smoke-Mac for about 6 months as a Color/Finish tool in a shop with 10 edit rooms (currently Avid 5 and FCP 7 - hoping CS6 is great), and I've gotta say that the learning curve for Smoke is pretty steep. It's quite a reminder of how similar most Mac/Windows programs are - the metaphors and organization Autodesk uses are completely different than what you're used to. Once you get it, it's pretty awesome/powerful, (and could be even more awesome with some improvements) but the idea of switching a facility to Smoke as a primary editing tool?

It would need a MAJOR overhaul to fit that bill - interface, cost, SAN architecture, etc...

Well, let's see what the big news is - but I doubt it would make sense for most places. With the XML/AAF conform, why do you need to edit in the same tool as you finish?

For short projects with a quick turnaround, it might make sense to skip the conform step, but I can't imagine doing a large project, and sorting through hours and hours of footage and with Smoke would be more efficient than an Avid/FCP 7.

Just not sure "more editing centric" is good enough for most editors to make such a major switch...

Personally, I would love to see

1) some Lustre integration (or at least g-masks in the Color Warper secondaries!),
2) Are re-think of the Editdesk/Library relationship, and of course,
3) we'd all love Batch FX... (or at least Batch Export from the Library)

We'll see on Sunday!

(at least the speculation is only going on for a few days, as opposed to the endless months of spilled in over FCP-X...)

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]