APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Autodesk Smoke is changing. Everything.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brian Mulligan
Re: Autodesk Smoke is changing. Everything.
on Apr 10, 2012 at 11:23:26 am

[Steve Connor] "Care to share some thoughts on Smoke as an editor? What are it's strengths, what is it's media management and edit toolset like?"

See this is the problem that I hope this announcement will fix. No one really knows what Smoke is. It has always been a finishing system, but always had a good basis in editorial. It's just that it's cost and placement in the post production world narrowed it's role to being a great finishing suite. But I have been editing on Smoke for 6 years in a broadcast station environment cutting promos, commercials, graphics, and long form.

The editing tools set works just like any other, track based, trim, ripple, slide, slips. But Smoke has a set of deep and powerful tools for color grading, stabilization and 3D compositing. And many of these are available via the timeline as soft effects. And it's speed in processing and processing at high quality 16bit 4:4:4 at every turn.

As far as media management goes. It just works. Smoke is designed as a finishing system, so it accepts EDL, AAF, XML, and anything from h.264 to .r3d. You can edit natively, or you can transcode, or a mixture of both. You can change a transcoded clip to a native clip and back again easily. The transcoded clip retains the original metadata of the clips path, and you can see it via the clip properties in the timeline.

Everything I have said here is nothing new, it's all in the current version of Smoke. So I can't wait to see what is coming.. or changing.... for the better. Cost is the main issue right now for Smoke for Mac. So hopefully this will be addressed as well.

Here is a new reel I put together. It's a bit graphics heavy...

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]