APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 6, 2012 at 2:59:01 pm

Hi,

Circling back to this issue. Did a bit more testing with media connected and disconnected. Note, this is all media from 5Ds, where I've added reel numbers and TC using QtChange or from Alexas with embedded reel numbers. Both types of media are imported as files, not from cards.

[Jeremy Garchow] "But that's a function of Xto7 as it probably grabs the reel from the QTs (or FCP7 does, but my guess is Xto7 does it as it's controlling the XMLs)."

Actually, I believe it's a function of FCP 7. If you run Xto7 with no media connected, and then mount the media drive when you bring the XML into FCP 7, the conversion is fine and both reel numbers and timecode come across. That's because FCP 7 is reading both from the connected media. The interesting gotcha is that if you import the XML into FCP 7 with the media disconnected and not relinked, you DON'T get reel numbers OR timecode. TC count is simply using a frame offset value starting at 00.

What appears to be happening is that FCP X spits out a clip name with a frame offset value. That's converted in Xto7 and then FCP 7 attaches the correct TC based on this offset as well as a reel number, because it is reading it from the media file itself when it relinks.

The moral of the story is that cannot generate a correct EDL from X by way of Xto7 and FCP 7 when the media is disconnected.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]