APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Oliver Peters
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 5, 2012 at 2:26:04 pm

[Bill Davis] "I still think that's too perjorative and too harsh an assessment."

I don't see that, but OK. Besides, why should I cut one of the largest tech companies in the world - gifted with money and really bright software engineering folks - any more slack than I would Avid, Adobe or anyone else?

[Bill Davis] "Do you really think the FCP-X teams focus was so caviler the they didn't realize that by choosing to strip the code back to zero - that they were going to piss people off? Do you think that if they could have seen a way to keep all that Legacy was and still build what they wanted X to be that they would have?"

Huh? I don't believe I ever said that. Seems like you are inferring it. First of all, could they have written a 64-bit update from FCP "legacy"? Sure. Absolutely, Avid and Adobe have done just that. Did they choose to "re-imagine" an approach to editing and that required some trade-offs? Yes, I believe that's the route they took. I believe they are banking on the slow replacement/upgrade schedules of most shops to buy them time. Most people will continue on FCP 7 for at least another year to get serious work done. So it's a calculated risk.

[Bill Davis] "X is literally driven by it. It's not a bolt-on - it's the core of the whole program."

While that may be true, it still doesn't change what I said, which is that the benefit of this is ONLY INSIDE the open app, events and projects. This doesn't translate into asset management software, which is what you and others keep trying to imply. You may well be correct, but please show me any evidence of this. So far, what I see, is no more advanced than what Avid has been doing since 1989 and quite frankly is less than what's there in MC6 today. The database structure is simply a lift from Aperture applied to video. It may work with 1,000s of pictures, but let's see if that same approach works with 1,000s of projects and 100s of 1,000s of video clips.

[Bill Davis] " think they are. The first level build is leaner, requires fewer keystrokes to do more functions, and presents new rapid and agile editing functions than I believe Legacy did. I know that many editors were exceptionally fluid and fast in Legacy - and that over it's decade, it had a lot of great stuff for the "power user""

For every more agile function, there are others that take 2 or 3 extra steps or workarounds to achieve. Not better. Not faster. Just different. Again, you are arguing the editing points and ignoring the actual question - asset management.

[Bill Davis] "Granted I was stuck in DV with a Quadra 840 AV with Legacy V1,(IIRC), and computers have come a long way - but here I am with a laptop and firewire drive editing HDSLR footage faster and delivering work faster with X then I ever managed with my MacPro and Studio 3 after 10 years of solid practice."

Hmmm... Well I've had similar experiences, although I was using FCP1 with a CineWave and cutting HD, so DV would have been a blessing ;-) In any case, I don't necessarily come to the same conclusions.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]