APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 5, 2012 at 6:29:33 am

[Oliver Peters] "I get that and I don't disagree, but the discussion was about asset management. For all the claims about that being built into X, there is zero evidence that it's true beyond what's being exposed inside the interface. So is it really a case of being transformative or of throwing the baby out with the bath water?

- Oliver
"

Oliver,

I still think that's too perjorative and too harsh an assessment.

Do you really think the FCP-X teams focus was so caviler the they didn't realize that by choosing to strip the code back to zero - that they were going to piss people off? Do you think that if they could have seen a way to keep all that Legacy was and still build what they wanted X to be that they would have?

To me that simply makes NO sense.

I just don't imagine the X team as a building full of masochists gleefully grinning at all the turmoil they've caused. It makes a lot more sense to me that if they couldn't re-invent inside the old structure, they had permission to tear it down and build a new one.

And that's what they did.

It's inarguable that the major difference between Legacy and X is that while Legacy accommodated metadata - X is literally driven by it. It's not a bolt-on - it's the core of the whole program.

It's also clear that the construction team has had to prioritize that meta-data's use, features and essential plumbing in the early days here. But it's equally clear that the capability of the program to use metadata more wisely and pervasively was the very foundation of the whole re-build.

That said, those functions are only important if the rest of the strucure - the editorial functions are also crafted carefully.

I think they are. The first level build is leaner, requires fewer keystrokes to do more functions, and presents new rapid and agile editing functions than I believe Legacy did. I know that many editors were exceptionally fluid and fast in Legacy - and that over it's decade, it had a lot of great stuff for the "power user"

But as someone who editing with Legacy in year 1 and with X in year 1, I have to stand firmly that this software is lightyears easier to edit with - once you know how to overcome it's quirks - which is precisely what I had to do back in 1999 with V1.

Granted I was stuck in DV with a Quadra 840 AV with Legacy V1,(IIRC), and computers have come a long way - but here I am with a laptop and firewire drive editing HDSLR footage faster and delivering work faster with X then I ever managed with my MacPro and Studio 3 after 10 years of solid practice.

That says something in my book.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]