APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Richards
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:58:57 pm

[Oliver Peters] "But it does take care of moving the media and relinking the files in FCP 7, so that there is a very cohesive environment."

Cohesive as far as linking to media, but disjointed for metadata and feedback. The editors I worked with found the check-in/check-out process added a lot of friction to their workflow, and they lamented that the places they naturally dealt with metadata already (markers and in the bins) did not translate at all into FCSvr even if they did tolerate the distraction of check-in. For them, FCSvr was a burden they wound up avoiding whenever they could.

Where FCSvr did shine was in automating producer approvals and other tasks external to FCP. In this respect, it saved editors a lot of time and effort. They could and did embrace that. But as far as the core functionality of metadata and media management, there was (is) a gulf between FCP and FCSvr. CatDV and its "magic door" address that using Apple Events and XML, but FCSvr never did.

That's why I see so much potential in FCPX as a true client. Just by using FCPX, the editor is creating gobs of valuable metadata that would be so much more valuable if it were available to more than one editor at a time. If FCPX were directly interacting with a central Events and Projects database, then the whole thing becomes frictionless. Elegant, even.

Pie in the sky, sure, but it looks damn tasty in my imagination.

Best,
Andy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]