APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Richards
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 4, 2012 at 2:29:18 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The stupid part is that FCP 7 with FC Server works (worked) EXACTLY that way."

I disagree. FCP7 had no idea FCSvr existed. You had to check out your FCP project file from FCSvr and then open it in FCP7. FCP7 and FCSvr could be united atop shared storage and FCSvr could manipulate the project files it was handing out to allow for edit-in-place, but FCP7 never had any idea FCSvr was there doing that. FCP7 just know it had a project file and that file linked to such and such media on the SAN.

If FCP7 had been directly addressing FCSvr, you would be searching for clips on the server from within FCP7's Browser pane. Not in a separate Java app that you then had to drag your clips into FCP7.

What FCPX's CoreData store model for Events and Projects opens up is the possibility that you could have FCPX as the client proper, with no separate sidecar app. The keywording in FCPX would be hitting the server directly, not waiting for a save to a file that would then have to be uploaded and parsed by the server. Shared FCPX Events would be like having a live shared Browser window in FCP7, and shared Projects would be like having a live shared Timeline window in FCP7. This is utterly different from the way FCSvr worked with FCP7, and in my opinion, it would be much more powerful.

One of the biggest problems with FCSvr in my experience was that editors saw using it as a chore, they did as little as possible in order to avoid spending time in it, and they really just wanted to have the metadata they were creating in FCP (markers, bins, etc) to "just show up" in FCSvr. But since FCP7 didn't talk to FCSvr at all, that could not be achieved with anything approaching a practical workflow.

It would be cool if Apple built such a thing, but it seems extremely unlikely that they would.

Best,
Andy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]