APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Richards
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 4, 2012 at 1:49:35 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Jeremy seems to have a lot of confidence that future updates to FCPXML will allow third parties to deal with this. I'd love to see that, and I think that third-party developers are offering some really innovating solutions (like VirtualMXF), but I also think that splitting DAM duties between FCPX and a third-party app reduces the power of having a DAM in an NLE in the first place."

From where I sit, FCPX is begging to be the client in a client/server setup where the heavy lifting of storing and serving media and metadata is on the server-side and FCPX is only mounting what the editor is working on (while everything else is a quick search away). The way it sits now, FCPX has a glass ceiling for volume. Fine for small-scale stuff, but a busy shop would find itself working around it with Event Manager X, the sparse image workaround, or SAN Locations on Xsan.

I've noted before that OS X already has the frameworks to enable this. FCPX interacts with its Events and Projects via CoreData SQLite persistent stores. But what if it could also read and write to a centralized PostgreSQL database? Live sharing of Event and Project databases would enable some killer workflow efficiencies!

[Walter Soyka] "I hope that this is an area that Apple intends to develop themselves in the future, because this is one of those maddening close-but-not-quite features."

YES.

Best,
Andy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]