APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 3, 2012 at 10:49:38 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Is it still true that FCPX doesn't take in camera meta-data? or has this changed? Would this function be beholden to the same changes that meta-data out will require?

It seems there are walls that keep the meta-data isolated on both sides (in and out)."

Kinda?

It's seems to be there in the sense that if I bring in a p2 clip (which has an XML) via the new log and transfer function, the metadata comes in. It's not mappable and only some of it is adjustable/searchable (the fields that you can edit/type are searchable within X). So a format like p2 that has very decent "built in" metadata that's close to a standard via Panasonic's recommendations works, but it's not perfect.

A format like Arri Alexa also has XMLs but FCPX doesn't read that XML file and there's currently not an easy "mechanism" to import that style of XML. The guts do seem to be there, fortunately.

This will probably take major updates to AVFoundation and FCPXML to get this to where fcp7 sits in it's current state, is my educated guess.

So, yes, I think it is rather limited in scope today, but some of it is working provided you have the material that X understands (like p2).

The announcement from the MXF4mac folks alludes to a "Pro" version of VirtualMXF that maps 7 metadata to X, which seems to bode very well for upcoming possibilities without the log and transfer mechanism.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]