APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 3, 2012 at 10:06:31 pm

[Bill Davis] "When legacy was born, storage was expensive and computers were slower. Today, storage is cheap and computers and networks are ever faster. X is building toward that future. All your past editing decisions - preserved - constantly on - and available to you to use or modify as you like.

For some people yes, for other people no. SD used to be a chore to handle, then it became common place. Then HD came out and it was a chore to handle and now it's pretty common place. Now 4k and 3D are coming down the pipe and they will be a chore to handle.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo probably has one of the most cutting edge workflows and the amount storage they needed for finishing the film was 55TB. That's just space for the locked edit, VFX shots, mixing, color correction, etc.,. Lord knows how much storage they needed for the full rez (5k) dailies. For RT playback they had to build a disk array that could handle 1.1gigs a second (for 1 stream). For offline I think they cut w/ProRes LT proxies. Extreme example? Maybe today, but I think it will become a fairly common workflow for Hollywood movies very soon. The David Fincher film Zodiac shot on the Viper, recorded 444 RGB and required 144TB to hold all the dailies.

The faster our machines get the more we ask of them so I think the net result is pretty much the same. Sure, any modern computer today could handle an SD workflow like a hot knife through butter, but how many of us are still doing SD-only workflows?

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]