APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Range-based keywording: unique to FCP X?
on Apr 3, 2012 at 8:07:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I disagree. FCP was not a DAM."

Totally

[Walter Soyka] "With respect to its DAM, FCPX's current design simply doesn't scale. That's not forward-thinking design. It's either bad design -- or it's completely immature."

It's not a data asset manager, nor will it be.

Will it have aspects of it? Yes, but in my opinion, of you want an asset manager, get one.

[Walter Soyka] "I have 24 TB of storage online, and it's not nearly to hold all my work."

Totally, agree. We have 23-ish TB online right now, and 70+(!) LTO4 tapes for archive. There's no way this will all be online, ever, unless Moore's law start applying to storage.

[Walter Soyka] "Jeremy seems to have a lot of confidence that future updates to FCPXML will allow third parties to deal with this. "

The interesting thing about ALL of this is that FCP7 was a very capable metadata storage system. XML is an easily searchable text document and FCP7XML allowed the passing of metadata pretty easily. It needed some work, and it wasn't perfect, but it was there. What FCPX has done is shown is that metadata can be very useful if you can give the proper amount of usability to it. When it's hard to use, no one uses it (well, I did in FCP7, but that's me). When it's easy to use, people will use it, and then they will come up with all new and exciting ways to implement it.

The ironic thing about X is that the backbone of FCPX metadata is there. Just have a look at the extensive list that FCPX can store. Right now, you can't get it OUT of there as the XML doesn't carry most of that information. There's no reason that Apple would build this list and functionality if it wasn't gong to be useful someday, especially with FCPX's very present and easy text search/sort abilities and the numerous ways to use this metadata to rename/resrot your footage with a few clicks. Go in to the inspector, find the info tab, see the Drop down at the bottom if the window that says Basic View, then click on "edit metadata view" and check out that list.

[Walter Soyka] "If metadata is going to be a true advantage for Apple and for FCPX in ongoing projects versus one-offs, they must really innovate that toolset."

My feeling is that it's innovated, we just haven't seen the whole feature set. It's still in the oven.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]