APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: nVidia PC envy...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: nVidia PC envy...
on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:17:31 pm

I'm with you. I'd love to see better NVIDIA support on the Mac. (10.7.3's universal NVIDIA driver [link] is interesting and encouraging, but with no official support, still too scary for production, in my opinion).

[Lance Bachelder] "The big advantage Adobe has right now over everyone is the nVidia CUDA real-time stuff including the ability to cut 4k Red raw files."

There's a lot of GPU-accelerated goodness in Premiere Pro, but RED debayering happens on the CPU. You might consider a RED Rocket.

The GPU is used for scaling, so if you're cutting 4K in a 1080 sequence, there's still some GPU gain to be had, even when debayering at 1/2.

[Lance Bachelder] "There's 256 CUDA cores on an $1,100 Quadro 4000 for Mac card. The new GTX 680 introduced today retails for $499 and has a whopping 1,536 CUDA cores!"

It has six times the number of CUDA cores, but I'd also note that it has the same amount of RAM (2 GB) -- so while performance will almost certainly be higher across the board, there may be some cases where memory will cause a bottleneck.

[Lance Bachelder] "Unless we can get these cards for Macs, it starts to make more sense to use a PC if I decide to use CS6 for my next show..."

Come on in, the water's fine! At this point, I think that PCs are worth considering for anyone, unless you're dedicated to FCPX.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]