APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Final Cut Pro X Pro Users Only??

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

walter biscardi
Re: Final Cut Pro X Pro Users Only??
on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:18:07 pm

[Helge Løken] "Don't get me wrong, I think Apple has shown an amazing application that will potentially increase their sales 10-fold. But, I think for most pro users it's going to be a problem fitting it into the workflow."

It WILL increase their sales 10-fold or beyond. The entire first portion of the presentation was all about Apple's Market Share vs. Adobe / Avid. A big cheer went up from the right side of the room when they proclaimed "Avid and Adobe are fighting for second place."

What Apple will be able to do next year is say "See, we jumped from 2 million users last year to 5 (10, 15) millions users this year! We're king of the hill!" At $299, many people / facilities / companies / businesses will buy 2 or more copies. So you could see something like 25,000 purchases equal up to 3 million more copies, for example. But Apple will proclaim "3 Million new registered users!" since they'll count each serial number registration as a unique customer.

So Apple WILL increase their market share tremendously just based on the price. And at that price, nobody will be able to complain about what the software does and does not do. It's $299. If you don't like it, go get something else. What do you want for $300? Features from the previous 7 versions are going to go away because for that little of a price tag, you simply can't expect the software to do everything that other software for $1,000 or more can do.

What Apple showed us on Tuesday night was very slick. But as I've said in my blog, it gave us more questions than answers. Apple was not present at the show other than this event so we were not able to test the software, ask questions, or anything else like I was able to do with Avid for example. In fact I had breakfast with the CEO of Avid to specifically discuss the evolution of that product. That was a very open and frank discussion of how that company has treated its users in the past, what it's doing now and feedback from me of what I'd like to see happen moving forward.

Here's what I would have liked to have seen from Apple. A suite in the Renaissance hotel where many other demos were taking place where editors could register to look at the app more closely and give feedback. Apple had thousands of video and film editors in ONE location. At the very least they could have taken feedback on what was presented and what editors might like to see before the app is released or in a near release update. Instead it was a vintage Apple marketing presentation.

Is Final Cut Pro 1.0, I mean 10.0 going to revolutionize the post world? Well absolutely because now it will be even harder for new editors coming into the business to earn a good living. Every potential client will have a nephew, cousin, friend, daughter, niece, kid down the street who has Final Cut Pro X running on a MacBook or iMac. So the market will get incredibly diluted, especially right in the beginning, say the next two years. Kind of like when FCP 1.0 came out and thousands of new editors sprang up, only this time it will be millions of new editors. Not to mention colorists and motion graphics artists.

It is the democratization of the post production world happening at 10-fold speed. More than ever, your ability in this craft and an understanding of camera and post production workflow is the only thing that will make you stand out from masses.

These are interesting times.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]