APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Article about Performance in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Thomas Smet
Re: Article about Performance in FCPX
on Feb 13, 2012 at 8:21:23 pm

I think too many companies put too much into the whole 64bit thing which on it's own doesn't make a program run any faster. I think right now it is actually dragging them down. I'm also not sure why Apple felt slower machines couldn't handle FCP7. I ran FCP7 on a dual core iMac like there was no tomorrow. Sure the rendering to compressed formats was a bit slow but the actual process of editing was really like slicing through butter. I now have a brand new 17" MBP quad core that is a dream with FCP7 but is sluggish with FCPX. This is a top of the line Apple system and about the best laptop you can get.

There was nothing wrong with 32 bit software and being limited to 2 GB of ram. FCP7 did just fine and the only thing they really needed to enhance was the render speed. People were editing big budget features on that little 32bit app.

FCPX seems to be taking this new approach of making software bloated and just keep throwing Ram and cores at it to make it run better (cough, Premiere, cough). It is insane to think that a program should have 16GB+ of ram just to do what programs 1 year ago could do with 2GB of ram. Personally I think FCPX is just trying to do too much on the timeline at one time with all the metadata stuff and background processing. Even if background processing isn't working all the time the program still has to have all those hooks to look out for certain things.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]