APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: MacBreak Studio discussion on Avid and FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy Field
Re: MacBreak Studio discussion on Avid and FCPX
on Jan 28, 2012 at 3:04:31 pm

This is a brutal crowd. Sad that some posters launch personal attacks when someone gives their opinion.

How long have I been following Ripple Training?

Since their first disk which I purchased and most of the others to help learn FCP and Motion and Soundtrack Pro. Their training is excellent - this wasn't a critique of them or their training - just pointing out the vested interest they have in FCP X succeeding.

Perhaps I should have written that most FCP editors who use it to make their living in Film and Broadcast television find FCP X unusable in it's current 1 viewer/no professional monitoring/no legacy support/trackless form.

If you are starting each project from scratch and output to the web -FCP X may very well be the best editor you'll ever need.

This is not a radical observation. In fact it's the reason this forum exists. No broadcast monitoring out - no tracks - no xml in the first version.and non standard in the subsequent versions..no audio mixer - no legacy support.

Apple says that's all coming? Should we all just kick back and straddle two apps while Apple works on finally doing that. Most shops have to get their work done and finished today.

No legacy support is the deal breaker for every FCP editor i know. You can open a legacy project/Timeline in Premiere and Avid but not FCP X?

If you have a client base with years of projects on the shelf - that kills FCP X for you. We are constantly updating and revisiting old projects - taking pieces from them and incorporating into new projects.

And a careful read of my original post says "they (The Ripple Training guys) may love Final Cut Pro X - ...but they have a vested interest in selling FCP X training"

They only offered FCP and related suite application training for a decade. Then suddenly AVID training is on the way. Would they be doing that if a good chunk of client base wasn't leaving FCP?

It was a note about considering the source.

The Ripple Training guys are the the best of the best when it comes to training - no critique of them. But there's a reason they are flooding the internet with all the free training video teasers. They need to get people purchasing their training to stay in business....that's a tougher sell when the people who need the training are fleeing to other NLE's. Even Larry Jordan's getting indigestion trying to revamp his business and expand it to Premiere to follow the crowd fleeing FCP.

And for the record - FCP X is a cool program -- just doesn't do what we need for broadcast with enough control over saving various versions of projects -- exporting just a segment of a timeline -- and sharing for finishing with other programs without a good deal of contortion that wasn't necessary in the older version.

PS I'll be first in line to buy Ripple Training's AVID instruction as soon as it's out.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]