APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
on Jan 24, 2012 at 5:37:42 pm

[Walter Soyka] "There may not be a lot of people who would say that (compared to the size of the iPhone-buying public), but there are entire disciplines in our industry who gladly trade big, heavy, loud, and expensive for faster renders, because faster renders lead to better client results."

I guess it depends. When looking around at PPro and certainly FCPX, renders are becoming less and less necessary during the edit. Even FCPx and PPro have GPU accelerated exports.

I know we have had this discussion before, but if pure speed is what you are looking for for renders, the MacPro isn't the fastest, beefiest machine out there. Apple's have never been the fastest kids on the block.

[Walter Soyka] "A dual Xeon workstation may be a little faster than a quad-core i7 box for editorial, but it's a lot faster for compositing, motion graphics, or 3D. Moving from a real workstation down to a SuperMini for AE, C4D, Maya, or Nuke on the i7 SuperMini would be like putting a bird in a cage. I think it would continue pushing people like me away from the Mac platform."

I hear that. You'd probably be much better off, really, if speed is what you need.

[Walter Soyka] "I'm sure Apple could drop Xeon workstations and barely feel the blip in their bottom line, but it would certainly change the landscape in our business quite a bit."

The changing of landscape train has already left the station. :)

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]