APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: is FCPX dying a death on the appstore?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris Kenny
Re: is FCPX dying a death on the appstore?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:48:35 pm

This sort of analysis doesn't really mean anything n the absence of some standard to judge it against. So iMovie moves more units. OK, it's 1/20 of the price; that's not unexpected. The App Store stats don't let you determine how many more units (save that it can't be more than 20x as many, because FCP X grosses more than iMovie). Even if you could find this ratio it wouldn't mean anything without some baseline to compare it to, e.g. how much iMovie previously outsold FCP 7.

If your point is simply that FCP X sales aren't as high as when it was initially introduced, that doesn't mean very much either. Most people who were going to upgrade probably did so early on. I imagine most software sees "bursty" sales surrounding new releases.

If we're engaging in App Store kremlinology, though, two things lead me to believe FCP X is actually doing rather well. First, it's outselling Aperture despite being 3.75x as the price and despite photography probably being a more common activity than video editing. Second, it's consistently the first or second highest grossing app (not counting Lion, which isn't really an 'app'), often outselling Pages, which is kind of impressive. It's 15x the price, but a word processor is so much more of a mass-market product that it's surprising to see a $300 video editing app selling even 1/15 as many units as a $20 word processor.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]