APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
on Jan 20, 2012 at 8:19:38 pm

[Walter Soyka] "In other words, we can't do anything with Thunderbolt that we couldn't do before -- but we can do it cheaper and on significantly smaller or more portable machines."

Precisely. We could also email and browse the web on laptops, but as soon as we were able to take that capability and carry it around in our pocket...

[Walter Soyka] "A MacBook Air plus Thunderbolt plus a dozen peripherals does not a Mac Pro make."

You mean a 24 sizzle core beast, I'm sure.

That's not the point, though. The point of this demo is that a year ago, you could not do what he is trying to do without some serious computing hardware with a lot of physical heft and a mini van. In my mind, that's an accomplishment. Also, I can share that Red Rocket card around so I don't have to buy three of them for each machine, or I don't have to constantly rip it in/out of one machine to the next. I can also connect storage to a laptop, an iMac, and a theoretical TB equipped desktop with no speed penalty or separate PCI card for each machine. Sure the data handling capabilities have not changed, but having this done in a truly mobile environment that instantly scales to a full scale desktop based studio should not be downplayed in my opinion, and it would not be possible without thunderbolt.

And once optical cables get here, it's all extendable.

To me, it's a big deal. To the sizzle core crowd, maybe not so much.

To each their own.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]