APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:59:04 pm

[Walter Soyka] "This is really, really speculative. I'd argue that suggesting that Thunderbolt will be capable of this kind of expansion is very premature."

[Jeremy Garchow] "But of course. I mentioned that."

Fair -- I just thought it was important to re-emphasize given the ferocity of the Thunderbolt hype cycle.

Thunderbolt is very cool and full of promise, but it's not a technical revolution per se.

Thunderbolt is a couple of existing technologies bundled together in a very convenient package. Thunderbolt isn't allowing for any new workflows or technical capabilities -- it's just opening up what's already possible to a whole new set of machines. You could have run the same demo from the MacBook Air on a low-power, mid-size PC tower with PCIe expansion from a few years ago -- and somehow I don't think we all would have been giddy about that on a technical level.

In other words, we can't do anything with Thunderbolt that we couldn't do before -- but we can do it cheaper and on significantly smaller or more portable machines.

I'm not saying that Thunderbolt adds no value or isn't a big advancement. I agree that it will change the way many of us work, because we no longer require a workstation to meet high throughput requirements.

I'm just saying that the speculation about Thunderbolt solving all sorts of problems it was never designed to solve (like adding CPUs as several posters have mentioned at one time or another) is unfounded. A MacBook Air plus Thunderbolt plus a dozen peripherals does not a Mac Pro make.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Here's to the future."

We truly live in interesting times. I can't wait to see what comes next!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]