APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:49:50 am

[Shane Ross] "Anyways...I'd love a kick ass laptop, but I need big dual screens for my work. I have a LOT of footage to sort through and need the screen space.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def"

Shane,

Like if or not, this is the whole point of the database in X. Huge screen real estate is critical when you're largely conditioned to locating clips visually. But when you tie them to a very functional database and smart keywording, screen real estate actually becomes much less critical.

Back before I upgraded my graphics card to be Open CL compatible to run X if you'd asked me, I'd have said not having my 30" cinema display for editing was going to be a major loss. But a funny thing happened.

I now find that scrolling through pages and pages of clip icons is something I only want to do during times I select for creative exploration. For most edit purposes, where I already know what clip I need, keyword search was is so very much faster and more powerful that "clip scrolling" becomes a chore rather than something enjoyable.

It's an alternate "option" that I highly value now. Like lots of my former thinking and editing behavior, what I used to do has altered from being the only "best practice" to my seeing it as "one of" my best practices after seeing alternate methods in FCP- X.

You may always want the "big display" of clip alternatives laid out visually. But having the choice to tap in a name and have the clip (or a smaller range of possible clips) for selection is a gigantic improvement, IMO.

Your mileage will surely vary.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]