APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Kimery
Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
on Jan 20, 2012 at 5:40:57 am

First off, I don't see how anyone can watch that demo and not be impressed. 4k playback, screen recording and recording a feed from an external camera via SDI all happening concurrently on a MacBook Air! Seriously?!?

I'm not going to wave the 'desktops are dead' flag but technology stands still for no man. There will always be a niche that needs the fastest money can buy but that niche keeps getting smaller and smaller. How long did it take for SGI to go from hi-end workhorse to bankrupt?

Shane,
I agree that client perception is a factor at times but client perception changes as well. I mean, look at an old linear bay, a room full of specialized gear, compared to an off-the-shelf computer running FCP 7. The 'wow factor' certainly goes to the linear bay yet NLEs, many of which ran on everyday computers, killed them.

Jeremy,
As I understand it, it's not that there are no desktop procs that can work w/ThB it's that Apple is waiting for the new (and delayed) intel CPUs to come out before they refresh the Mac Pro line (which will presumably include ThB). Apple also had 1 year of ThB exclusivity which is why there are no PCs w/ThB but now that the exclusivity window is over a number of PC makers have announced ThB products. I've also read that Apple has been gobbling up almost all of the ThB chips which is one reason ThB peripherals have been slow to hit the market.

-Andrew

2.9 GHz 8-core (4,1), FCP 7.0.3, 10.6.6
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (7.9.5)

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]