APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:11:43 am

[Shane Ross] "Other computer makers make towers. HP Z800 for example. PC towers aren't going away."

Is was a bit premature, but HP was thinking about spinning off their desktop line last year.

[Shane Ross] "They aren't? Then what are all the HPs and Dells and other Windows Desktops running? "

As far as I know, there are no desktop processors that are thunderbolt capable. No windows machines have thunderbolt let alone desktops. This is true now, but will change as soon as the processors are ready, like I mentioned.

[Shane Ross] "WE all need to render at some point. Not every effect is full quality/real time. And shortened render times are good things. Export times too...encoding to H.264, Broadcast MPEG-2, WMV. Processor power is a GOOD thing for the many tasks we in basic editorial still need to do."

I now you haven't played with fcpx, but certain exports are GPU accelerated, and you don't have to render your timeline at all and effects still play. I turn rendering off. I'm not crazy, there's some cool shit in fcpx. Premiere has a similar setup, only render when you need with some Cuda accelerated effects, with media encoder getting a bit of GPU acceleration for encodes.

[Shane Ross] "Client perception is huge. And you aren't always alone with your own devices. Many times you have clients in the room, and if they see a small laptop, or iMac, they will wonder, "is this guy really a professional?" I hate that perception...but many clients, AGENCIES mainly, have that perception. "

Ok. Then buy a desktop if you need the image.

Our desktops are hidden in a closet along with our noisy SAN. They come in and see no computers. They don't seem to mind, but hey, if you need to strut your stuff, then you need to strut your stuff.

[Shane Ross] "Anyways...I'd love a kick ass laptop, but I need big dual screens for my work. I have a LOT of footage to sort through and need the screen space."

I don't know what to say. Laptops have supported two monitors since time immemorial, or whatever.

Also, I was wrong, apple thunderbolt displays do support daisy chaining. It's displayport displays that are end of chain.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]