APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Shane Ross
Re: Pretty amazing Thunderbolt demo.
on Jan 20, 2012 at 1:00:52 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Finally, some descent. I knew it wouldn't be long."

I live to argue with you! :)

[Jeremy Garchow] "The only thing missing form that demo in your requests is a computer monitor."

Well...that's a BIG thing. I mean, the Air is either 13", or 11". Are you really going to edit with that small of a screen?

[Jeremy Garchow] "If this was running on an Acer laptop, would it not be pro enough for you?"

Of course not. What makes you think I do? I don't recall saying anything of the sort.

"Thunderbolt is made for loop through."

OK, but not when the device only has one TB port...like the Apple TB monitor. Like the BMD IO devices. Those only have one TB port. The ONLY devices that have loop-through are the hard drives (thus far). So you can go TB out of the computer to the drive then to the IO device...OR the Apple display. Can't do both. If it was designed for loop-through, why do so few devices offer it?

[Jeremy Garchow] "Might as well drag out the MacPro on set to review/transcode Red footage as a laptop based system surely can't handle capture, playback, broadcast out, editing and storage.

Why bother with a 3lb laptop when a 40lb MacPro will suffice?"

OK...this is a good solution for on the set. Not arguing there. The MacPro was never a great solution for the set...but it was what was needed for the longest time. But to say that TB makes it so we no longer need the MacPros AT ALL? That's pretty short sighted. Why not make a MacPro with TB? Multiple TB connections? Wait, what about graphics cards? They are pretty important to the performance of many apps, like Adobe Premiere Pro, and Motion, Resolve...dunno about FCX, does that rely on GPU? When you are limited to the puny graphics cards that are in the Apple laptops, you are hamstrung.

Can't use RESOLVE on an iMac...or laptop. The IO card required for it doesn't connect via TB. So for Resolve on a Mac, you need a Mac Pro. And one of a handful of graphics cards. Even if BMD then makes a TB IO card for Resolve, you still can't use it with a MacBook Air, MacMini, iMac...graphics cards are now the issue.

If Apple discontinues the MacPro...Resolve on the Mac is dead. And would be further proof that Apple gives a rats arse about the high end pros they used to RELY ON to survive.

I'm not saying that it isn't REALLY NICE to be able to do this on a laptop...a MacBook Air. I LOVE that this is a possibility. Means that we can have these really nice, light computers on set, on location to do what we need. But for you to say "So uhh, about those MacPros...." as if to say "so, do we really need MacPros now?"

Yes we do.

Again, you surprise me with your attitudes about this. You are a high end professional and not only embrace an app that doesn't do a lot of stuff high end pros need, but now you seem to think that we no longer need MacPros.

Unless I am COMPLETELY MISREADING your statement, and you only meant it as "who needs a MacPro on set now?" instead of "who needs MacPros anymore?" Which I know is entirely possible on a forum post...misreading a statement is an all-to-common occurrence. So, do you mean "who needs the MacPro anymore?" or "Who needs a MacPro on the set?"

Are you ready to be a high end Pro using an iMac (that does have two TB ports)?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]