APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: So what happens to our hardware...?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: So what happens to our hardware...?
on Nov 22, 2011 at 4:00:02 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Apple has never had the fastest or best or most flexible hardware. Ever. They have preferred system stability to speed since the beginning. If speed and raw power is what you're looking for, there are much faster options than Mac hardware."

Jeremy, I'll argue this point with you every time you make it.

Saying that Apple prefers system stability over speed suggests that there is a tradeoff to be made, and that other vendors are choosing the other side and thus putting their customers' businesses at risk.

In your mind, which vendors prefer speed over stability? Has any professional systems vendor introduced a product to the market that actually sacrifices stability in favor of speed?

I also think your "Macs aren't the fastest" premise is wrong. The top of the line Mac Pros have been screaming and price-competitive machines at the time of their introduction. The performance problem is that Apple allows the line to languish for over a year at a time without speed bumps or price drops, despite the introduction of faster processors or the declining cost of major components.

I've been seeing a lot of FUD slung at Windows (not necessarily by you) on this forum. I have bought 15 Macs (4 of which dual-boot OS X and Windows to use OS-specific software) and 3 PCs in the last 10 years, so I certainly appreciate the Macintosh way -- but I also have enough perspective to say that most of the criticisms leveled at Windows here are woefully out of date. Complaints from Mac users about Windows system instability are the moral equivalent of complaints from PC users about Macs only having a one-button mouse. Windows 7 on good hardware is a perfectly reasonable platform for getting things done, and Macs support multi-button mice.

Admittedly, I had a different view on this prior to FCPX, which has pushed me to actually try Windows for creative work. Just like you tried FCPX and found that it wasn't as bad as everyone said, I've tried Windows and found that you can take advantage of the additional power and flexibility to do creative work without pulling your hair out. HP has sent me a Z800, and it's well-engineered, well-built, and perfectly stable. It's also available in significantly faster configurations than the Mac Pro.

I am amazed at the number of people who have said here that they'd consider trying to piece together and maintain a Hackintosh for professional work, when they could simply buy a well-built and well-supported Windows PC instead.

My point in all this isn't to encourage people to dump the Mac platform today. Rather, I'm trying to point out that a lot of folks here have an irrational fear of the PC platform. It really isn't so bad! Once you're in your main applications, whether they're Adobe, Avid, or something else, the OS is pretty irrelevant. Restricting yourself to Apple products may have been a smart strategy in the past, but now is a good time to re-evaluate cross-platform or PC workflows.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]