APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Corporate Hubris

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Herb Sevush
Re: Corporate Hubris
on Nov 9, 2011 at 9:53:12 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Look what they did, they gave a true video camera in a Cinema style package that most every preDSLR DP has come to rely on, such as better onboard audio recording, timecode, and the ability to send and receive various signals to various on set departments/gear."

I'm not denigrating the camera in any way, I'm criticizing the marketing idea behind making the camera.

Yes, they made a pro video camera at a pro video price. And how does that distinguish them from the Sony F3? Why would I buy a camera from a company with a history of failure in the pro video market and no pro video distribution when I could deal with companies like SONY, Panasonic and Red.

The DSLR revolution gave Canon a unique market niche which they have steadfastly ignored for over 2 years. Now their brilliant idea is to throw away that niche to compete with other companies in the other companies marketplace with a very good, but not unique camera, while at the same time ignoring the original market that brought them to prominence in the first place.

Jeremy you know much more about cameras than I do. I am not a DP by any means, but I direct them and then work with the results of their labors. I know how loath many of them are to trust their workflow with untested vendors. To my mind cameramen are much more conservative with their tools than are post people. I just don't see what Canon is doing.

As always, time will tell. People vote with their wallets and in this case nobodies waiting for the upgrade to come out.

So tell me, is your company going to buy one?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]