APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Corporate Hubris

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Dobson
Re: Corporate Hubris
on Nov 9, 2011 at 6:08:49 pm

Herb,

it's a good point that all of this started with the 5D MK11 and yet here we are with C300 looking at a camera at ten times the price, and that's without all the outboard kit that will be needed to make the camera functional out on location or in the studio.

I won't be buying.

I sat on the edge of the DSLR pool for about a year looking at the Heath Robinson contraptions that came onto the market to make these cameras usable. To my eyes it seemed incredible that people were actually strapping these pieces of hi tech meccano around the DSLRs.

Then I bought a Canon 7D and it all made sense, kind of, fabulous rich colour and shallow depth of field. But suddenly my visa card got really hot with all the bits I had to buy to feed the new beast.

And the sound recording was the biggest pain. Sure everything is possible but firing up 2 machines to record an interview out on a busy location and monitor both machines takes a lot of concentration. And the camera needs to have a break every 10 minutes to catch its breath. And then there's all the AA batteries I started buying in large multipacks.

On the up side it totally rejuvenated my interest in the filming business and I can honestly say that I've learnt more about aperture, depth of field, shutter rate, ND Filters and lenses than I had ever done through using camcorders.

And the shots looked great.

However the stress of external audio recording resulted in me buying the Canon XF305 camera, a small sensor very high definition 1080p camcorder with a really solid codec to record onto the SD cards.

So I've been really excited with the new developments from Canon. I can't afford the C300 but there is a Full Frame new Canon video DSLR (4K) in development which will draw on the same technology. It will be with us within the next year and I'm sure that that's when most people will upgrade from their 5Ds.

I imagine it will cost around the same as the AG AF100 and Sony Brick ( NEX FS100) and that all the lenses and toys I've bought over the last 2 years will find a new host.

The Canon XF Mpeg2 4:2:2 50Mbs codec will become as ubiquitous as Pro-Res is now.

And companies like Zacuto will continue to prosper well into the future.

And in a years time FCPX will probably be in its 4th version with every single problem resolved ( sure? ) and ready to roll onto the next crest of the HD wave.

So I'm feeling quite positive about this development.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]