APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: What would it take?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Simon Ubsdell
Re: What would it take?
on Oct 23, 2011 at 3:57:38 pm

[David Cherniack] "The way I understand it the position tool is the only 'overwrite' function available and it works as an override to the standard rippling mode. If that's correct that's not the same thing as working in overwrite. If it's not, please do correct me."

So much has been made of the Position tool in these discussion that it seems as though it's been forgotten that the D key (or Edit>Overwrite) is your standard Overwrite mode, no different from FCP or any other NLE. In fact, it's exactly the same and completely unchanged.

Note also that you can Lift from Primary Storyline (Opt/Cmd/Up arrow) as well as go the other way, which is again a non-rippling behaviour.

So, I think it is fair to say that the Position tool is absolutely not the only overwrite behaviour.

On the subject of gaps, I did discuss this at length in another thread which hopefully explains what I mean when I say that the insert gap function enables a very high order editing capability.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/17739#18364

In fact, this:

[David Cherniack] "Doing insert gap with complex timelines is always going to require some adjustments"

... is now actually not the case with FCPX. I'd say that in 99% of cases there will be no need for repairs or adjustments of any kind (beyond possibly trimming the gap), as everything stays connected exactly where you'd hope it would. (I know it doesn't seem possible or likely but try it and you'll see that it's true.) Accordingly, what used to be a multi-step process in almost every case (some times very many steps indeed), is now a single-step process.

Please don't think this is a blanket apology for the more heinous excesses of FCPX - I just do believe that in this case they've got something very complex really rather impressively right. Though I know it's going to be an uphill battle arguing this position, because looking at everything they've messed up on it's hard to believe they got anything right at all ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]