APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Portent of things to come - huge downloads

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy Mees
Re: Portent of things to come - huge downloads
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:34:33 pm

As someone happily living in the still developing world I'd have to say that Steve's "it's just a 4GB download, no bigger than an HD movie" (or words to that effect) was wholly typical of first world blinkered vision .. perhaps he genuinely has no idea how long a 4GB download takes on a supposedly 1Mb "broadband" line that can rarely sustain even half that speed and generally gets massively throttled if and when a large download is attempted? Well Steve, on the face of it it should probably take about 12 hours ... but out here in the real world it would probably take about at least 3 or 4 time longer including multiple "resumes" after unexpectedly dropped connections (hope the AppStore will be ok with that). Now if I could pop in to an authorized Mac shop and buy a copy on disc then I certainly would (like the SL family pack I bough there last time) ... but without that possibility then popping down to Petaling St and buying a knock-off copy starts looking like the best option. Here's a thought ... how about letting me pop into an authorized Mac shop with my laptop and download it over the air directly on the premises from a local cache? That would help me ... but I'm still not getting how you plan to help those without the handy Mac shop ... and those who'd consider themselves darn lucky to have a fancy 1Mb internet connection like me.

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]