APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: The Open Timeline and Spatial Workflows -- Another Example

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy Garchow
Re: The Open Timeline and Spatial Workflows -- Another Example
on Oct 12, 2011 at 5:43:43 pm

[Brett Sherman] "The one thing I'm interested in with FCP X is the new bin system. Events make a whole lot of sense to me. My thinking is I won't need the sequences to store footage as I can do a better job sorting through the material with events and metadata."

That's my thinking, but there's a way to use sequence like behavior without creating a traditional sequence in the project library.

I have been using favorites and markers. Unfortunately and for some reason, the text in favorites isn't searchable in the browser but it is for markers, so I use the favorite to mark a range, then markers to describe what's in the range. You can then also turn all these clips into a compound clip and name it something useful like Jeremy_Selects_Reel (I sort the bin by favorites (control-f) select them and then choose to make compound clip (option-g)). This compound is then one skimmable clip in the browser, or you can choose to "Open in Timeline" which allows all kinds of timeline operations including further editing/trimming (even filters, like a tc reader) which is then stored in the browser. You can then skim and add parts of the compound clip to the timeline. If you ever need to not have that clip be in a compound, you simply "Break Apart Clip Items" and it turns the compound in to the original clip. It's quite cool, very fast and flexible once you wrap your head around it.

That marker text then transfers to the index once you put a clip in the timeline, then you can look at the index by marker under the "Tags" section and you can even text search there (or just lick on a marker to go to that point). It's pretty awesome and in my opinion, way more flexible than FCP Legacy will ever be, but I'm a weirdo so I weird it up sometimes.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]