APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: FCPX may work, for some projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill Davis
Re: FCPX may work, for some projects
on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:49:58 pm

I'll play.

The magnetic timeline may well be a superior convention in situations where screen real estate is at a premium and you don't want arbitrary gaps between your pre-trimmed media import files.

And might become a superior rapid comping tool in the field precisely because of this.

In "fixed timeline" situations, there are far too many times over the past decade where I've had too little room to click on a gap and keystroke close it on the timeline - or when assets on adjacent tracks like composite tracks and titles have have prevented me from closing a gap.

On my Cinema display, not so big a problem. I can zoom in, trim the tracks that are causing the problem until the gap is clear in all adjacent assets, select the gap and delete it, then re-drag all the assets that originally prevented me from closing that gap into the positions they were in before I had to deal with the gap.

Magnetic timeline? No gaps unless I specifically put in a gap clip.

It defaults to what we're all typically trying to do in the initial build of any typical assemble edit. Strings of scenes without gaps.

When we're editing someday on iPads and it's even harder to see those tiny gaps, the magnetic timeline could well become the best feature of the software.

Also the magnetic timelines ability to avoid clip collisions means when you're moving blocks of scenes around, you're never penalized by arbitrarily changing an already specified edit point because you've over-written that choice at the head or tail of a clip as in all other timeline implementations.

I struggled with the magnetic timeline at first as well. But nowI find it's freeing me to move blocks of scenes around more freely, since there's never a "repair" penalty for doing so.

That by itself is a big advantage over the FCP-7 workflow if your work in such that you have the option to tinker with scene order

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]