APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX may work, for some projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Richard Johnson
FCPX may work, for some projects
on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:59:16 am

When FCPX first was released I did not buy it for a couple reasons. I do my sound engineering in Pro Tools (because that's what I was trained on in school) and I do my color grading in Apple's "Color" (because that's what the first production company I worked for used). I felt that to not have these capabilities would have been a big step backward in quality. Another reason was that I refuse to finish paid projects without having viewed them on my broadcast monitor.

Now that they have a free trial, I was willing to download it to get a (free) first hand impression. It's really fast. I'm just getting used to it but a lot of it makes sense and it seems to be a powerful editor if I can become fluent in how it thinks (just like you have to do with any software).

If Davinci Resolve gets import/export of the XML nailed down and Pro Tools does the same I think FCPX could work for me on a lot of my projects. Some of my regular work requires multicam, so for that I'll still be using FCP6. One of my company computers has the CS5 production suite and I've played around with Adobe Premiere. It works, but my first impression of FCPX in use has been more pleasing. This may have to do with it being slightly "dumbed down" which it is. Premiere definitely gives the user more control over settings and me being relatively unfamiliar with both might make me feel more comfortable on the more "dumbed down" one of the two. That being said, I wouldn't feel so comfortable with it if it didn't let me do what I wanted. I have done one basic preliminary project and liked it, and the client liked it. I know the person well and I "owed him one" so I figured I'd use his project as a guinea pig. If this had been for pay, FCPX would have payed for itself with the trial version on the first project.

If Davinci and ProTools can make good use of the XML format I may start using FCPX on certain projects that don't require multicam. It's nice to have the broadcast monitor hooked up but Resolve supports it so I'm kinda covered there.

Overall, I had a nice first experience with the software. It was a super basic 4 minute promo but... the client was stoked and FCPX worked pretty quickly on all fronts. What are the chances ProTools will jump on the FCPXML bandwagon or will there be a conflict of interest with Media Composer? I'll ask the client if I can post the video on Vimeo to show it off. Cheers. -Richard

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]