APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: My wish is

COW Forums : Creative Community Conversations (was FCPX Debates)

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter Soyka
Re: My wish is
on May 20, 2011 at 8:37:28 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Those were different and desperate times, when Apple was fighting for survival. Jobs had come back from NeXT and Pixar and saw video as part of Apple's DNA, and it was going elsewhere. Serious compositing was on the PC. Avid was threatening to go PC only. Adobe took Premiere Pro to PC only. Apple saw high end production as a way to sell high margin desktop boxes, the same impetus that made it buy KeyGrip from Macromedia and turn it into Final Cut Pro.

Times have changed. Apple's new DNA is mobile devices."

Ironically, now that apps like Smoke, Resolve, and SCRATCH have come to the Mac, Apple's mobile focus seems to threaten the platform that these developers were drawn to and started developing against a couple years ago.

I try to limit my arm-waving rants on this topic, but more frequent updates to the Mac Pros, more expansion slots (to compete with similarly-priced PC workstations), and better support for NVIDIA cards with CUDA would go a long way in the high-end production market.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]