APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Re: Where are we TODAY?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew Stone
Re: Where are we TODAY?
on Jul 31, 2011 at 8:53:10 pm

Thanks again for your input Dennis.

I have built many a PC over the past 15 years with exception of the last 4 when I made a conscious decision to spend more time using creative tools than being singularly obsessed with the underlying technology and trying out every Linux and BSD distribution that is out there. So my preference would be building a PC but I am out of the loop on the Intel i7 processors and the requisite motherboards required. Also being a Final Cut/Apple Color user until 5 weeks ago I was oblivious to the CUDA technology and the NVIDIA offerings in this area.

I've used largely ASUS mobos but I've used some others from other manufacturers.

Generally speaking I don't cheap out on motherboards as, in the scheme of things and considering what they achieve computationally, I think they are a downright bargain. I have poked around a couple of times looking for ones that have incorporated the Thunderbolt (Light Peak) technology that Intel pioneered with Apple but have yet to find any decent ones, other than bolt-on/afterthought ones that utilize a PCI... slot rather than having a direct fat pipeline to the processor. Not sure if that has changed yet. Also looking for a board that will be compatible with Blackmagic Design's Ultrascope and unfortunately they have been extremely lax in keeping up with blessing new motherboards since they released this product a couple of years ago. It seems graphics cards and USB 3 is the big sticking point but not sure if there is a particular USB 3 chip set that is required. Just throwing that out there in case you have run into this.

I know the retired NVIDIA GTX285 is Premiere/CUDA compliant and there are a few others.

Presently I am using a Mac Pro 2.66 quad core machine with an ATI 5770 card. Apparently it can use the 1st gen of the GTX285 but not the second generation one. I'm not looking to turn this into a Windows box. I figure it is time to carve out a new one and building it would be my first option as Apple's decision on FCP requires me to not only get new computers but new software which will easily cost 10 grand in the next year.

-Andrew
--
Steadicam & Camera Operator

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]